Monday, January 24, 2011

The whole picture

Gonna take another baby step here.  I have two pictures of roses that I want to paint in watercolor.  I want them to be companion pieces, even though they are different.  So I've been racking (wracking?) my brain to figure out how to do this.

One of the things I am learning is that you have to think ahead to see your piece finished, and possibly, even framed, before you begin.  Then you don't have that moment toward the end, of "Oh, I wish I'd done this or that."  Of course, by that time you're too late.  

So what I'm going to do is paint the roses in watercolor, then paint the backgrounds a dark color, then fade to black.  I'm going to dry brush the edge with black acrylic, so it looks sort of rough.  


 When I frame them I'll use the same frame size and shape, and place the piece on top of the mat, so that you have mat, rough white edge, then the dry brushed black, and then the rose.

Everybody confused?  That's OK, I think I've got this one.  I'll show them to you when I'm done.  


My table tiles should be out of the bisque kiln today.  I'm going to go over (after the dentist, ugh) and get them glazed so they can be fired with the next batch.  Can't wait to see them! 

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your process . . .can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete