Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year, New Project

Hi all. Didja miss me?  Well, all that holiday nonsense is over and we can finally get back to work, right?  

Here's the deal.  About 30 years ago my little brother made drawings of all three of my children, when each was about 3 yrs. old.

Recently I did a drawing of my son's wife, when she was three, and gave them that, plus the old drawing of my son.  But I miss the drawing, so decided I could do one for myself.  This is the old picture that the drawing was made from, which has been glued by time into the pages of the albumImpossible to remove, difficult to work with.  

 Here's the drawing as I've started it.  The clothes are coming along fine, but I'm having trouble with the placement of the facial features.  Each time I've drawn them in, they've come out close.  But close, as you may well know in portraits, doesn't end up looking like the person you're trying to draw.  

So, here's what I've done.  I copied the picture as well as I could and drew black lines on the copy for placement of the features.  This will help with angles and spacing, so that  this week I can attempt again to draw in the face of my little boy.  I'll show you how it turns out when I'm all done.

Happy New Year to all of you, and I hope you have some new projects yourselves that you're excited about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment