Friday, August 10, 2012

A new challenge

A new client wanted an iris on his wife's guitar.  

My concern was getting enough "tooth" on the surface so the acrylic paint would stick.  I asked the guy at Lowe's and he said to use steel wool.  He said I didn't need to go all the way down to the bare wood, just lose the shine.

So I did that, then followed with a superfine sandpaper, just to make sure I could get a good stick.  I'd made a stencil of the outline, so that was the only area I sanded.  Put down a light coat of very thin white and let dry to make sure it wouldn't chip off easily. Also taped off the guitar so it wouldn't get any junk on it.

I think it turned out very well.  Hope he likes it.